Saturday 13 September 2014

Surprising Delay Repay Compensation

We all like to claim for delays, don't we? How many of us fight and fight for compensation and once they pay up, you get next to nothing in return? Well in a shock turn of generosity, AGA gave me a whopping £9.60.

It might not sound like a lot, but knowing I only travel between Shenfield and Chelmsford and pay £110.30, usually ends up costing me £2.60 per journey, and in in the case of delays of 30 to 59 minutes, I'd only get £1.30.

They decided, without the slightest suggestion of wanting to argue about it, to refund me the entire cost of the journey from Shenfield to Chelmsford and back again, which covers the £5.60 and an additional £4 'good will gesture' for my travelling and parking expenses.

Here was my original letter:
As you may be aware on the morning of Saturday 30th August 2014, there was an unfortunate fatality at Romford Railway Station, which caused significant delays and cancellations up and down the GEML.
This affected many people, including myself. As I needed to travel between Shenfield and Chelmsford on Saturday morning for work, it meant that I had to make alternative travel arrangements rather than use the trains, as I would have been late for work if I hadn’t. As I am a holder of a monthly season ticket (XXX1234), this meant I incurred extra expense which left me out of pocket.

I drove to Chelmsford and from on Saturday and parked in a car park nearby where I work, so the costs incurred were for fuel and £2.50 for the car parking. I saw this as a better option than getting a taxi or using the local bus services as it was quicker and less expensive. It also meant that I wasn’t going to lose out on earnings as it also meant I wasn’t going to be late for work.

I am aware that it’s not normal policy for Abellio Greater Anglia to pay out for additional costs incurred, but since there was no other option available, I think it would be right for you to do so. Had you arranged for ticket acceptance on First Essex buses, then I could have used the 351 service at no extra cost to myself, something you might like to look into in the future.

A sum of £4.00 should cover the cost of my fuel and the the cost of my car parking on Saturday, so that is the amount of money I am looking to reclaim from you. I would think it would be reasonable for given that I am a regular passenger on the Greater Anglia network.

Kind regards,



Daniel Collins

Here's their response:


No comments:

Post a Comment